Before I start this review of the product, I’d like to set-up a format that I hopefully will be using for most of my product reviews.
The product name will always be in the title
The price will then follow: in this case $179.99
And then cnet.com’s review number: 7.3 – Very Good
Now please enjoy the review of the Chumby.
Now in the world of consumer electronics we have seen some pretty comical names for products. These also include the ridiculously long, product key-like names for TVs (LN-T3253H), but none of that can add-up to this device.

The Chumby, whose name is as cute as its soft plushy design is actually a small, Wi-Fi enabled, Linux-based, internet widget, thing. What it basically does is connect to your home wireless network, and begins to download widgets from the Chumby site, where you can also customize your Chumby. Speaking of customization, there is also a metal clip where you can put on little Chumby charms on, adding more to the cute design.

The Chumby primarily has the main uses. The first of these is basically as an information hoarder. The Chumby can pull all sorts of weather, RSS feeds, and pretty much anything you want from the internet to itself. Its other great use is as an alarm clock. It has a nice wide touch-screen and a snooze button under its plushy top. Lastly, it is also a great on-the-go music device, able to stream internet radio as well as a speaker for an iPod hookup.

I can think of two main ways you would use the Chumby. One would by just as a kind of portable internet thingy at home that you can set up at like the counter for daily weather and news. The other would be on a trip, where you can use it as your alarm clock but also it would be your email and flight information checker. I wouldn’t say it’s entirely useful but it kind of is the Chumby, and you want it. Whatever it does.


3 comments:
looks expensive
Notice how it has a power adapter! And I'm pretty sure there is not an internal battery inside, so much for portability (Well, you could plug it in, but....! YAY! CHUUUUMMMMBY! Oh, and this is a fix to previous comment.
Post a Comment